Fire / EMS Training and Safety
Groveland Fire Department takes great pride in the high level of service we provide to our community. The quality and quantity of the training it provides and requires of our firefighters, apparatus operators, officers and instructors is essential to ensuring continual preparedness and the advancement of skills. Our goal is to meet the needs of our community, as well as, to meet multiple local, state, and national standards while continually remaining prepared for any emergency situation may present itself.
The Division of Fire Training and EMS helps to ensure the safety for all of the men and women that make up our emergency response personnel. The National Fire Service motto of “Everyone Goes Home” is a concept that reflects our belief that through training and safe practices, our personnel will perform their duties at the highest and safest possible level. Our department routinely trains on the most effective ways of performing fire suppression, hazard mitigation, and the delivery of pre-hospital emergency medicine based on the best available protocols, resources and techniques.
The Division of Fire Training & EMS is responsible for:
- Training (Fire and EMS) for all Department Personnel
- Facilitating high level patient care through EMS training, including certificate classes, annual refresher training, quality management and much more
- Oversight of Occupational Health and Safety; including Personal Protective Equipment
- Specialized Training including Dive (SCUBA) rescue and recovery
- Standards Compliance, including those set forth by National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), Insurance Services Office (ISO), Occupational Safety and HealthAdministration (OSHA), and other regulatory agencies
- EMS Continuing Education, GFD seeks to exceed the annual education requirements as prescribed by the Medical Director of Lake County and the State of Florida
- Onboarding of New Firefighters and the continual development of existing personnel
Under the supervision of Division Chief of Fire Training and EMS, who also serves as Health and Safety Officer, our Firefighter EMT’s and Paramedic’s remain busy keeping up with annual training requirements and ensuring compliance with standards. Through constant review of our performance using the Quality Assurance Review process, we are able to fine tune skills and identify areas that may need extra focus.
Firefighter survival techniques.
Practicing a wall breach.
Dive rescue training.
Dive rescue training in Alexander Springs.
Search and rescue training.
Practicing search and rescue with blacked-out masks.
Nighttime EMS training.
Specialized low light air way training.
Acute care conference.
Groveland sponsors acute care training conference at the E.L. Puryear Building.